Wednesday 12 June 2013

Applydea Maglus Stylus Review


Some time ago I was looking for a stylus to use with my iPad really to help the drawing and not taking apps which I'm really trying to use more...

I've got Procreate, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and Paper by Fifty 3. I've toyed around with them all but really just couldn't grasp writing and drawing fluidly with my fingers. 

I did a little digging around online and tried to find a neat useful stylus. They range in design and price but as my Ipad is the second generation one I can't use the Pogo Connect Bluetooth Stylus, due to the version of bluetooth.

Still I finally settled on the Maglus.

I wanted a Stylus but as the Ipad doesn't come with one it lacks the cool ability as the Nintendo DS or Samsung Galaxy Note Phones with a stylus holder built in. Due to the frequency I lose  pens at work and at home I figured the magnetic ability of the maglus would be prefect.


Sure enough it was. 

It snaps onto the smart cover on the ipad and is solid enough for me to carry it about and not worry about it dropping off. The cover actually opens before the pen dislodges so it's on pretty good (also prevents the fumbling for the edge of the smart cover when opening). 
It's such a neat feature. 
you stick it on and even if the cover is folded back and you're on the couch using your fingers you just know the stylus is there and ready if you need it. I drop my Ipad into my bag and whenever I get to where I need to be the stylus is stuck on the iPad still no fumbling around or lost stylus!. I was blown away by how handy this was. Now My Maglus and Ipad are always together.







When I was browsing for a Stylus I was a little put off by the shape of the Maglus, to me it looked uncomfortable to hold and heavy. It's square'd shape looked awkward to hold for long periods of time, like a novelty pen so I was pleasantly surprised to see when i opened the pack a nice rounded shape all over.
It had a nice weight to it but didn't feel cumbersome or imbalanced in any way. The rubber grips fit great in the hand and I've grown to love the square'd design. I've since drawn wrote and doodled for many hours and had no problems at all. 
Ive found I use it 9/10 times instead of my fingers just down to having it there and not zooming into small web page links.


It arrives well packaged in a neat little black cylinder, along with a screen cleaner spare tip and a keyring to house the spare tip (and probably a second). 
Great value for money i thought especially having a spare tip although my original one is still going strong. 
The stylus is beautifully made crafted from machined aluminium it goes really well with the Apple designed iPad.
To me it feels like a very natural accessory much like the smart cover.





The Stylus as packaged
Worked very well in use. I immediately noticed a massive improvement in the accuracy of sketches and a huge improvement in written words. I believe any drawing app really is meant to be used with a Stylus. 
It's great in all the sketching apps i've used so far. Sketchbook pro has a palm rest which is brilliant for detailed accurate work. Paper is also brilliant allowing quick notes and sketches to be made. I'm starting to use this now instead of paper for sketching ideas and note taking in and out of work. The easy of it, edibility and quick sharing really do leave paper pads in the past.
So far I've dropped it and left a few scratches on the body but no big deal. The tip has lasted very well and the magnet is as magnetic as ever. Overall I'm hugely happy with the Maglus It's magnetic feature is beyond handy. 
Applydea also offer a discount code to pass on to others. If anyone is interested in a Maglus you can score a discount using the link below: Should also work with other tablets!

Edit Link works again


Discount for Applydea maglus stylus

No comments:

Post a Comment